Sunday, August 2, 2009

Leonard Cohen Inspirations

It's funny how I go through different phases of my life, or rather chunks of obsession. For years, I LOVED making pots from clay, sculpting the human shape, making collages of random images put together to leave my imprint on society. I'm re-visiting a place my mind was for many years. I used to read all kinds of poetry, books, researched philosphies, religions...

One day I was introduced to this author, musician, poet Leonard Cohen. I've read and re-read his poetry books, listened to all his albums and now I believe it is time for me to re-visit them once again. I chuckle at how memories/events pop up now and then in life and I go back to that place, that memory.

I'd like to share one of my very favourite poems by Leonard Cohen. I remember the first time I heard this poem, like it was yesterday.

Avalanche by Leonard Cohen

I stepped into an avalanche
it covered up my soul
When I am not this hunchback
I sleep beneath a golden hill
You who wish to conquer pain
you must learn to serve me well

You strike my side by accident
as you go down for gold
The cripple that you clothe and feed
is neither starved nor cold
He does not ask for company
not at the centre of the world

When I am on this pedestal
you did not raise me there
Your laws do not compel me
to kneel grotesque and bare
I myself am the pedestal
for this hump at which you stare

You who wish to conquer pain
you must learn what makes me kind
The crumbs of love that you offer me
are the crumbs I've left behind
Your cross is no credential here
it's just the shadow of my wound

I have begun to long for you
I who have no need
I have begun to wait for you
I who have no greed
You say you've gone away from me
but I can feel you when you breathe

Do not dress in rags for me
I know you are not poor
And don't love me quite so fiercely
when you know you are not sure
It is your world beloved
it is your flesh that I wear

1 comment:

  1. this is the only place on the internet that i could find this poem. thanks!

    ReplyDelete